A Quiet Time

Nancy Weatherhead newresolve at eastlink.ca
Sun Mar 5 15:16:26 PST 2006

And the debate continues.

  _____

From: OSLIST [mailto:OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU] On Behalf Of
EVERETT813 at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 05, 2006 5:07 PM
To: OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU
Subject: Re: A Quiet Time

Frank wrote:

"It looks like we'll never get there in that moment together... always light
years away. Personally I think that story is a depressing pile of crap
though."

I was reminded by your post, Frank, of the great scene in Cyrano de Bergerac
after he has shut down the insipid play.  The Comte d'Guiche is in high
dudgeon and one of his simpleton syncophantic followers says he'll put
Cyrano in his place.  He goes over and says "Sir, your nose, it is rather
large".  (Clearly language challenged as well as being witless.)  Cyrano
proceeds to create wonderful insults about his nose, showing what the
simpleton might have said if he had an ounce of couth and wit about him.  He
ends by saying "You will die exquisitely."  Which he then accomplishes,
while composing a poem of specific form, ending the witless one's life on
the last refrain.

As for the other posts about extreme individualism, it is a growing
condition (I maintain mental illness) of our society, manifesting in many
ways.  One is the idea that if anything 'bad' happens to us, somebody is
going to pay, and pay big.  Thus, hot coffee in one's lap demands tens of
thousands of dollars in recompense.  There are literally dozens of
similiarly assinine examples of our legal system run amok, reflecting the
mentality that consequences shouldn't happen to me.

I was deeply saddened that the woman felt it was perfectly ok to come up and
absolutely traumatize Birgitt by screaming at her because some line of the
woman's psyche had been crossed by holding hands.  Had she not grasped the
law of two feet?  She was clearly mentally unbalanced in doing so.  Did
anyone check if the other folks there LIKED holding hands?  No, of course
not.  The central illness of extreme individualism is that my view of the
world will prevail and I will not suffer any consequences for my choices
inside that view.  It negates the good of the whole, in my opinion.  Not to
mention clogs our courts with lawsuits that increase all our insurance costs
and the cost of the goods.  We want a consequence-less life for our
decisions.  Reality, thy name is me.

Paul Everett

oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu: