A Quiet Time

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Sun Mar 5 13:06:43 PST 2006

Frank wrote:

"It looks like we'll never get there in that moment together... always light
years away. Personally I think that story is a depressing pile of crap
though."

I was reminded by your post, Frank, of the great scene in Cyrano de Bergerac
after he has shut down the insipid play.   The Comte d'Guiche is in high
dudgeon and one of his simpleton syncophantic followers says he'll put Cyrano in
his place.   He goes over and says "Sir, your nose, it is rather large".
(Clearly language challenged as well as being witless.)   Cyrano proceeds to create
wonderful insults about his nose, showing what the simpleton might have said
if he had an ounce of couth and wit about him.   He ends by saying "You will
die exquisitely."   Which he then accomplishes, while composing a poem of
specific form, ending the witless one's life on the last refrain.

As for the other posts about extreme individualism, it is a growing condition
(I maintain mental illness) of our society, manifesting in many ways.   One
is the idea that if anything 'bad' happens to us, somebody is going to pay, and
pay big.   Thus, hot coffee in one's lap demands tens of thousands of dollars
in recompense.   There are literally dozens of similiarly assinine examples
of our legal system run amok, reflecting the mentality that consequences
shouldn't happen to me.

I was deeply saddened that the woman felt it was perfectly ok to come up and
absolutely traumatize Birgitt by screaming at her because some line of the
woman's psyche had been crossed by holding hands.   Had she not grasped the law
of two feet?   She was clearly mentally unbalanced in doing so.   Did anyone
check if the other folks there LIKED holding hands?   No, of course not.   The
central illness of extreme individualism is that my view of the world will
prevail and I will not suffer any consequences for my choices inside that view.
It negates the good of the whole, in my opinion.   Not to mention clogs our
courts with lawsuits that increase all our insurance costs and the cost of the
goods.   We want a consequence-less life for our decisions.   Reality, thy name
is me.

Paul Everett