Inviting the right people - a concern in a charged community

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Mar 14 11:14:56 PST 2006

Hi, Jeff -

You wrote:

< I recently pitched an OS Event for a community transformation project.

The customer is well versed in Complexity Theory as applied to large scale
change and has a negative opinion of OST. His argument is with the tenant
that 'whomever show up are the right people'. He feels that for much of the
work we need to do - the right people will NOT show up - simply to prevent a
real solution from being created...Thoughts?>

So what does this mean - that the 'other' right people can't co-create a
(sometimes even better) solution without them?

Does he mean that the key people with information, resources, authority,
stakes in the outcome and the ability to act will not show up?

To me, that is a function of the invitation (the methods of invitation, the
messages, the diversity and involvement of people inviting, the process of
inviting, working hard to eliminate any access issues) rather than the
method.

For *any* method, there can be frustration if key people don't show up (to
the meetings, to the conversation, to the work).

And gee, we are talking about transformation, aren't we?  How do you let in
transformation if you don't believe that the right people WILL show up??

Perhaps he is expressing something behind this comment that really gets to
what he's thinking?  Some frustration about - for example - his feeling
people *should* do something that the people themselves do not feel
compelled to do?  Frustration about others not feeling these issues are top
priority, as he does?  I feel there is another layer of information here.do
you have an idea?

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator