Dealing with New Entrants to OS sessions

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Sat Jun 10 07:18:32 PDT 2006

My practice parallels Michael¹s ­ non-intrusive presence, which is different
than absence. Whenever there is any kind of awkwardness in the group, I just
stay present to it with faith in the self-organizing qualities of any living
system that emerge naturally unless someone tries to interrupt it. I also
don¹t ask people to express expectations in the beginning and set a tone off
fluidity where people feel free to come and go, so anyone coming in later
comes in a fairly seamless way.

I¹ve also experimented recently with a different approach to introductions
where I have people mill around and interview someone they don¹t know or
don¹t know well. This is done mainly in groups sharing enough common
languages to do this. Then I have them do what my social network colleagues
call ³closing the triangle². They then introduce their new people to someone
they already know. It¹s always chaos in the best sense of the word as people
reconfigure into small groups where the energy is awesome. Then we open the
space where the field is richer for the process.

Jack

jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.com