Dealing with New Entrants to OS sessions

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.de
Sat Jun 10 00:42:58 PDT 2006

Dear Stuart,
thanks for offering such a lively account of your experience...next to
the actual practice itself this is for me one of the most productive
ways of learning and a real gift of this community.
Chris has already said a bunch of the things that crossed my mind on
reading your note.
Here a couple other things:
-In the spirit of doing one thing less: I have never (in the now 140 os
events I have facilitated) asked people to "give their names and
expectations in attending". Originally, when I started with this stuff,
it had practical reasons: with a crowd of 150 or 300 or more this would
delay the offering of issues which I consider the first active
expression of selforganisation in the event. Since that has always
worked (perhaps also because during the issue offering phase conveners
do state their names and their issues reflect their expectations for
attending)I never do this even with small systems.
-After having introduced the facts of life (principles) I never remind
people of them again myself, especially not as a reaction to behavior or
action by participants (this has to do with my understanding that my
reactions are in fact just my reactions based on my assumptions and,
perhaps even more important, the observation that it reduces the space
for participants to jump in...I have experienced participants doing this
and often in a charming and humerous way. (In the course of events,
especially at the point when action planning starts I state the Law once
more as part of introducing this phase).

Specifically to your questions:
-a)handling new arrivals...: Dont handle them or the situation, let them
themselves decide on how they get into the game and also leave it to the
system...if it is an issue or a wish on anyones part there, they will
start to act if they are passionate enough about it...
-b)what experience is there....: My experience is that whenever I "fell
back" into managing something the situation became my issue and I
reduced my space for holding space and time. Invariably, just "standing
there and doing nothing" resulted in the system in taking action itself
(often quite different from what in the back of my mind, not being
completely unattached, I imagined).
Most probably, "degenerating into divisions" is a very productive force
(chaos and confusion with some conflict added in) leading to what you
eventually perceived as "productive energised attention"...what a
turnaround! Very likely aided by your intervention to take a break.

Thanks again for letting me (and us?) have a glimpse into your practice,
from where I stand you touched on some of the central aspects of my
practice of facilitating ... I enjoyed reflecting on it.
Greetings from Berlin (which is a slightly crazed place just now after
the first match in the world soccer event)
see you in Moscow
mmp

PS: When I facilitated an os back in 1998 in Nairobi I learned from one
of the participants that open space has been around in his village
culture under the name of "barraza"...roughly translated with "sitting
under a shady tree"

--

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany

Check out the new Open Space World Map now with 401 resident Open Space
Workers in 67 countries (working in a total of 122 countries worldwide)
www.openspaceworldmap.org