Dealing with New Entrants to OS sessions

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Fri Jun 9 18:14:21 PDT 2006

Hi there:

It sounds to me that the issue was deeper than coming late.  If there had
been speculation about the motives of the five newcomers taking money and
not showing, it seems that the conversation needs to be deeper than simply
stating expectations.

Often, when there is some unresolved issue in front of the group (we
sometimes call this the "dead moose") it helps to simply allow it to come up
in a circle process, using a talking piece.  I have found it especially
important, in terms of "holding space" to not take on the role of picking
and choosing parts of the agenda, or inviting specific people to speak.
Your five latecomers might well be right...they were singled out.  The
question is, what do we do with people who were coming to circle with
different expectations, under different circumstances?  What does this say
about the kind of circle we are?  How should we together deal with these
kinds of issues?  Opening space then using a talking piece invites people to
take responsibility for the questions, and lessens their reliance on me (and
the subsequent detachment of responsibility) as the facilitator.

A talking piece is a marvelous and effective way to handle these kinds of
conversations.  It allows the time and spaciousness to keep a group opened
beyond partisan bickering, and it makes for a very rich group conversation.
I remember several, including the one that happened this year at OSonOS in
Halifax where we were deciding where OSonOS 2006 should be.  I was, and
still am, in awe of the conversation that took place between 120 people that
afternoon, all in a circle, all using a talking piece and all in the spirit
of OS.

Cheers,

Chris

--