Dealing with New Entrants to OS sessions

Stuart Worsley sworsley at SNVWORLD.ORG
Fri Jun 9 06:16:46 PDT 2006

New Arrivals into OS sessions.

Yesterday, I completed a two day OS session with the council, executive
and public stakeholders of the city of Eldoret in Kenya. We took the first
day so seek and document the divergant views, and on the second day
produced convergance and specific action plans. The group was a collection
of hitherto conflicting parties, and this became the first time that they
could sit together and dialogue. The event was highly energised and all
participated fully.

However, at the end of the first day, to close, I asked participants to
throw a light ball to one another, and as they received it, to reflect one
thing that they had learned. A couple of people stated that although they
had really enjoyed the sessions, they felt aggrieved that others of their
colleagues had collected council perdiem to attend, and had not shown up.
Of course I reminded them of the principles - whoever comes are the right
people.

Next morning, we started with convergance. Reports were given out and an
hour allowed for reflection and voting. We used stickies to indicate votes
on each issue. After we started, 5 new people arrived, grabbed a report
found some stickies and started to vote with the group. These were the
counsellors that were the subject of complaint the evening before. When
the circle was reformed, in order to hold the space, I decided to welcome
them in, and ask them to give their names and their expectations in
attending - as all had done yesterday. They stood up, and gave names and
sat down. From within the group, one vocal individual called out that they
should give their expectations too, in light of the fact that they had not
arrived until now. The new arrivals began to react demanding why they were
being singled out for attention. Some of the group started to defend them
saying that others were being too harsh, and the spirit of the circle
quickly dissipated into partisan hostility.

At this point, I decided to intervene by stating that we only wished to
welcome them in, and that we should move on to discuss the next stage of
convergance. I explained the next steps to a restless group, and suggested
that we all take some coffee.

After reconvening to add up votes and form small groups on priority
issues, things settled, and we returned to productive energised attention
for the remainder. Some of the new arrivals did settle in, while others
remained aloof, and even tried to leave the procedings, only to return
later.

I would appreciate anyone's reflections on this specifically with respect
to a) handling new arrivals to an OS session, and b) what experience is
there in managing the balance between holding space, and letting the group
degenerate into divisions.