SV: Design question for an OS-meeting (PRETTY LONG)

Thomas Herrmann thomas at openspaceconsulting.com
Wed Jun 28 05:40:14 PDT 2006

Dear Chris, dear Michael
Thanks for your sharing of thoughts and experiences.
I agree with you Chris, 3 sessions back2back is heavy. I am working on
trying not to push too much into the designs. Although is´s so free, my
experience too is that people often work quite hard in OS, especially when
time is limited - OK this time we have at least 2 days which is good! Thanks
for the reminder!

STORYTELLING
Michel, the decision to include storytelling was done when we during the
pre-work identified that there is some grief due to the changes they are
facing, and some not too constructive myths living in the organization - a
bit of mistrust between the two schools that are being merged. So the idea
is to give space for stories to be shared before lunch, and thereby
releasing more energy for the work towards the common future of this new
organization. Chris, I do prefer storytelling the night before, but this
time it was not possible.

(I tried a design for storytelling in a meeting in Norway in January (which
I think I shared about) which I plan to use again. It includes brief
opening, transfer in, sharing in groups of 10 + documenting on flip-charts
which are put into the large circle when we re-gather. Finally an invitation
to share stories in the large circle. In all 2,5 hours - we start our
meeting at 9.30 so that´s a good fit. Worked marvellous in Norway anyway,
where there was BIG grief. It´s good to have at least the lunch to digest
and prepare for OS.)

ACTIONPLANNING/INPUT FOR ACTIONTEAMS
Michael I like your suggestion - to save the actionplanning phase until
monday. Unfortunately we do not have enough time/space available on monday
to work as a whole group. There is only small time (about 1,5 hours) & small
spaces for groups to gather to continue their work.
So I think we´ll at the minimum identify hot topics on friday.

I like the idea of having some sort of an "audium" - exibition/input of
ideas. I guess that could be either on the reports produced or maybe on
issues that are brought up for actionplanning or the actionplans? If we have
brief next-step-sessions, say 30 mts. They could post their actions on
flip-charts on each a space in the main room. Then we could  have say 30 mts
for all to walk around read and add ideas as input for the groups. At the
same time they could sign up for those groups they wish to take part in. And
then closing circle. This would all be added into the documentation which
they would all get on monday morning, before gathering their groups. How
does that sound?

REGARDING VOTING/GROUPING OF TOPICS
My experience is that the top voters are almost always taken into action by
someone. I heard on the list that people are sometimes angry with this
process. I can´t recall I ever had critical feedback on this and I think it
is partly because i make the purpose so clear. Just to get the info what
topics have most energy for the group as a whole. It can also be of value to
the sponsor regarding priorities regarding financial means.

I think that getting a lot of votes can be supportive for those who have
passion to bring the topic further. So on the other hand not getting support
could work the other way around. HOpefully it helps that I point out that a
topic which has only  a few votes can be of great important to just a few
people and be of value for the organization anyhow. So go with where your
energy is - is the message for the re-opening where anyone can bring any
issue forth for action planning.

Chris, I promise to have fun!
Cheers
Thomas