SV: Design question for an OS-meeting

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.de
Thu Jun 29 01:09:11 PDT 2006

Dear Thomas,
in my previous post I describe a process before action planning that I
call "outlook" or "transition" where there is space for"think,
focus,exchange"...takes a total of 20 Minutes, involves people at the
individual level and in pairs, its always very intensive,
here is that part of the action planning sequence

"4. Circle, still. Transition: I ask people to deposit their books etc.
under their chairs recalling that they have worked for so many hours on
so many issues and produced so many reports that are now in the book.
And then I ask "What does all that mean to you, to your work, your life,
the organization you work and live in? You have 7 minutes to reflect
just on your own. There is paper and pens to jot down things if you find
that helpful".

5.	The 7 minutes are spent in the circle, a great hush spreads, utter
silence and concentration. After 7 minutes I give the faintest possible
temple bell sound and invite them to spend 13 minutes in pairs to draw
on each others resources to understand better what all they have been
engaged in the last x days for their future. A great din breaks lose,
everyone engaged in intense interchange.

6. Ring the bell (loud, this time) (in the meantime A3 sheets and
markers returned to the center, pinwalls spread around the circle) and I
invite people to reflect on what it is that needs to grow hands and feet
and a heart and a head (sometimes I add "and wings") and to step up,
write it down, state their name, state the action planned and hand it to
one of the helpers (they spread the action sheets around the room). The
number of actions people are wanting to take is pretty unpredictable. I
saw situations where a group of 27 had 35 action plans, or a group of
100 with 12 or 200 with 27. "

cheers and good luck in August
mmp