question on residential OS

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Jul 11 14:51:59 PDT 2006

Hi, Marty and all -

Marty was asking about whether to hold evening activities or sessions in a
multi-day, everyone-stays-there (residential) OS event.

I echo a lot of what Tree and Zelle have shared.

I will add a few thoughts:

As there are several days to be in sessions, I would definitely not have
sessions in the evening.  When do people ever get a chance to decompress, in
a highly-verbal, for some a bit of a sensory-overload environment?

Participants will self-organize in marvelous ways to take walks and dinner
together, have a great Playback Theatre, improve or storytelling night, or
otherwise take good care of themselves.

I also feel that on a multi-day OS, having evening news allows folks to
touch in in the great circle before they let go into the night - like
breathing in and out (circle and release, circle and release).  Morning News
allows folks to announce late-breaking sessions, which is often very
exciting.

Occasionally I have experience the hosts putting up flip-charts for locals
to - if inspired - list a field trip or restaurant they will lead a walking
group to and list when to show up where, for those who are interested.
Often hosts will host an evening meal on one of the nights, or all.

For all of this, people are still free to honor themselves and take good
care of themselves, and to let things come up spontaneously.  I think you'll
be delighted if you let go and see what happens.

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator

O p e n i n g  S p a c e