question on residential OS

Zelle Nelson zelle at knowplacelikehome.com
Tue Jul 11 14:13:02 PDT 2006

Hi Marty,

I agree with Tree - hold to a morning opening and an evening news and
the rest will self organize itself. My experience with residential OS
was hosting a group of 70-80 people who did not know each other, or
us, held at a camp, which had many activities available during the
day and into the evening, such as canoeing, swimming, hiking, which
were interwoven into the scheduled sessions as well as after the
scheduled time.

An evening event was scheduled/created with music and storytelling
for the last night of the 3.5 days as a suggestion from one of the
participants on the second day of OS, so anything can happen. Some of
the topics that arose were a short play, and a drumming/music circle
around a fire, as well as the usual conversations and such.

Tree is right - the informal conversations and sharing will spring up
over lunch, dinner, breakfast, walks, fire circles, during the day,
at night, at sunrise.

Open Space is a way to describe what we as humans do and have done -
self organize around passion and interest. So follow your heart/
passion in creating this experience - if you feel a specific evening
event is what is needed for one or all of the evenings then do one,
and the participants will come or not through the law of two feet -
not because you gave them permission to make their own choice, but
because you have simply reminded them of their ability to go where
they want to be when you first open the space.

And my passion in this moment is to tell you that I would not plan
events for every night and let the participants have "free" time most
if not all evenings.

Whatever you end up doing will be perfect.

with grace and love,

Zelle

Zelle Nelson
Know Place Like Home/Engaging the Soul at Work/State of Grace Document

www.knowplacelikehome.com
www.engagingthesoulatwork.com
www.stateofgracedocument.com

zelle at knowplacelikehome.com