WC and OS in the classroom

Blake Mills CustomHousePro at aol.com
Wed Jan 4 07:41:26 PST 2006

Melinda,
Hello to a fellow New Englander!

Yes, an instructor at the photo and film school I attended here in  Rockport,
Maine, used OS to design the curriculum for a mandatory class called
"Professional Development".  It's purpose is to prepare the students  for life in
their chosen field after an intense year of studying  photography or filmmaking.
Students didn't participate much in the past  classes and she wanted to jazz
it up.  I suggested she use OS in the first  class and have them design what
they wanted to learn.  She did just that  and it was a huge success.
Naturally, the lessons she had always done were  included in their plan...i.e. resume
writing, interviewing,  etc.  However, topics were added that surprised her.
Some  of the new topics were having people who were working successfully in
their  field come and give talks about their life.  Also, they wanted more
information about the creative process and how to be courageous in pursuing an
artist's life.

Good luck!
Blake Mills