Optimal Time-Slots

Jeff Aitken tzimtzum at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 23 21:24:03 PST 2006

With this helpful thread, I'm remembering why
I started to move away from the full 1.5 hour
time periods.

I facilitated a number of daylong and evening
events that were open to the public, although
participants were drawn to the themes around
sustainability and the future of the region.

I found that in a daylong event, the energy
seemed to drop in the late afternoon if the sessions
were a full 1.5 hours. This did not happen with
75-minute sessions, and we had time for a more
involved closing circle with next steps.

The evening events were 3 hours long, with a 45
minute opening, two 45 minute sessions, and a
45 minute closing. These were high-energy, very
exciting events, although different in quality from
a longer open space. One person compared it
to a one-night stand rather than a committed
relationship. (!) Still, some of the small groups
turned into ongoing working groups.

Like others, I use sessions of 1.5 hours in
events that last longer than a day.

Jeff Aitken
Petaluma river valley
San Francisco bay area