USB-sticks and computer station during OST + some more..

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Feb 13 20:23:14 PST 2006

Hi, Frank -

Frank asked if anyone has thoughts on the pros and cons of wiki vs.
floppy/usb for an electronic Newsroom.

I think using whatever technology helps people access information is a great
thing.  However, I think if you create notes for/in an on-line environment,
it works more for people who visit online environments and who use computers
regularly.  So if there is anyone in your participant group who is not like
that (and I think it would be useful to ask at, for example, registration)
you / the client would want to make darned sure that those other folks get a
Book of Proceedings as a Word or pdf document or get a hard-copy one posted
to them in the mail.  So everyone of all cultures is included and has equal
access.

Also: many people use Books of Proceedings long after the event, to look up
a group of people who met on an issue (to continue that discussion further
or use them as advisors), to excerpt quotes for a funding proposal, and so
on.  So I would hope that any on-line environment remains available and
accessible to the participants months or a year afterwards (just like a book
in your hand or a file on your own computer is).

My two cents / rubles / rands,

Lisa

L i s a   H e f t

Consultant, Facilitator, Educator