OST learning workshop December 17-19, 2006. Reflections (long) [x-posted from Genuine Contact list]...with additions

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at BK.RU
Tue Dec 19 13:27:36 PST 2006

Dear colleagues and friends,

On the eve of departing for the US (for San Diego, Calif.) for a
sabbatical, GC trainer Ludmila Ivanova and I just finished conducting a
three day Working with Open Space Technology Workshop. I'd like to share
some initial reflections on the experience.

The workshop was one of my most enjoyable and satisfying experiences
ever in working with a group and was an excellent opportunity to taste
the nectar of the essence of GCP, as it were. I found myself thinking
differently about different aspects of GCP, especially WPPF. I found a
renewed curiosity about WPPF and its potential and hope to organize an
online meeting (skype? phone conference?) to further explore WPPF's
form and essence. One aha I had was moving beyond a previous opinion I
had about tools, that a "correct" worldview and attitude is superior
to a tool, when that might be tantamount to preferring shrimp to
apples. Specifically, previously I'd thought that OST was the only
true facilitation around because as a tool only it has the capability
to bust illusions. The workshop moved me to recognize that maybe what
is more important is to bring the essence of os to anything I do.
Pretty obvious, I recognize...

I was amazed that we covered so much ground, so thoroughly, and
without rushing or hurrying the group...over three days. I wasn't sure
that we could do it. But we seemed to look at form and essence of OST
every which way possible, and also covered the prep work with the
sponsor very carefully.

Participants
The small group of 6 was highly diverse. A personal highlight for me
was seeing "retiree" and trainer/coach Gabdulla Hamitov. Some of you
might remember Gabdulla as the one who co-held the space during OS on
OS XIV in Moscow on day two. It was a gift to see the presence,
sharp-mindedness, openness, deep listening, passion, thoughtfulness that he
brought to our workshop. Since first
coming to OST in April last year he has conducted 8 OST meetings,
starting first from phone coaching from me and other Russian and
Ukrainian spaceholders. He has brought OST to midsized companies and NGO's
in his hometown of Ufa and nearby cities.

Learning about how he has consulted with so many other OST'ers gives
me hope about the development of the fledgling OST community of
practice in Russia and Ukraine. Might we also be able to talk of a
Russian GCP community soon?

I really hope he will continue to explore OST with other spaceholders
and to continue exploring within the framework of the GCP.

Other particpants included a processworker, Reiki master, director of
an NGO for children with development disabilities, and orphans' rights
activist. What rich conversations we had! It was a real challenge to
really let conversations wander at times in large group when it would
seem like they had no connection with the topic at hand, but it worked
to pretend to let go!

This was Ludmila and I's first time conducting an OST learning
workshop together and I am especially grateful to her trust that she
brings to the now, her simplicity, power of presence, and humility. It
really deepened my own understanding of spaceholding.

Workshop location
For the second time now I have organized a workshop in my small Moscow
apartment. The first time was right after the Moscow OS on OS when
professional spaceholder and OSlistnik Dr. Wendy Farmer-O'Neil conducted an
international introductory Community Weaving Workshop. It seemed to work
then with a small group, and with 6
participants this time it worked as well.

Perhaps having spaceholders from around the world at my apartment for
a party post OS on OS XIV prepared the space for such a smooth workshop?

Other highlights

- seeing one of the participants who had no previous contact with OST,
make the distinction between the os of life  and OST when working with
developing a definition of OST. "open space is what is."

- inviting the group to experience silence in morning and evening
news. Thanks Peggy!

- participants getting psyched for OS on OS 2007 in Kyiv.

- experimenting with minimalist facilitation during morning/evening news.
Thanks Michael
(herman)!

- using natural objects from Nepal, Australia, Ukraine, different
parts of Russia from my jumbo collection for transfer-ins in our
workshop

- burning pine cones and different kinds of bark in my apartment to
prepare the space for os. There is a silver lining in not having a fire
alarm in my
apartment...

- enjoying homemade Mos-Tex-Mex vegetarian nachos with guac and salsa

- enjoying a homemade mushroom-onion-fetacheese spread...

- teaching the battery-powered croaking frog soap bubble blower/gun Thic Nat
Hanh
mindfulness walking meditation (1 mb video training clip available upon
request) for preparing a space prior to an OST/WPPF meeting

- noticing how we had two days of overcast weather with no snow, and
then on the third (and last) day of the workshop we had an incredible
sun warming us (the first sun in weeks!) together with snowfall (this
has been probably the warmest December on record and there hasn't been
snow for weeks).

- GCP Chi Gung offered by one of the participants

- Ludmila snoozing in large group at various points during the
workshop. Lucky her! Was that her sleeping during a piece of WPPF facilitation?

I remain curious about how we can "measure" how effective an OST learning
workshop is. Thomas Herman posted on the GC list recently that he has tool
to measure this. And I have heard it remarked that the "effect" of an OST
learning workshop can be diffuse depending on who leads it. Recognizing that
some who have been with OST since the early days have moved away from formal
OST facilitation/training to os-consonant practices, I wonder how important
or relevant it might be measure a "result" of a training as much as it is
satisfying and intriguing to see the "measured" fruits of one's work. Does
it matter at all if after training in OST that a participant never ever
opens space?

Hope to have the fotos on flickr soon...
And hope to see 6 more spaceholders at an OSlist near you.

warmly from Moscow,
raffi

p.s. THank you Joelle and Diane for your recent words of support!

Mini-glossary
GC trainer- Genuine Contact Program (GCP) trainer

WPPF- Whole Person Process Facilitation, a facilitation method/approach used
within GCP

transfer-in- a short exercise to invite the whole person of the now of a
meeting or other learning situation.