On Technology, sort of

Ralph Copleman rcopleman at comcast.net
Fri Dec 1 06:45:12 PST 2006

Around my house the term ³open space² has been problematic.  But now that my
wife has decided that her work is no longer ³open space preservation² and
has become ³natural lands preservation², I¹m in the clear to say anything I
want.

But I don¹t.  With clients I rarely use either term (open space and open
space technology).  I describe the outcomes (on all levels) they can get
from this sort of meeting and process and usually say something like, ³Oh,
by the way, the technique is called Œopen space¹.² Nobody ever says so much
as ³Hmm.²  They don¹t seem to care what we consultants and facilitators call
what we do.  I always begin a session with ³Welcome to open space², and
we¹re off!

Ralph Copleman