On Technology, sort of

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Dec 1 12:42:42 PST 2006

In a message dated 12/1/06 6:50:41 AM, rcopleman at comcast.net writes:

> With clients I rarely use either term (open space and open space
> technology).  I describe the outcomes (on all levels) they can get from this sort of
> meeting and process and usually say something like, “Oh, by the way, the
> technique is called ‘open space’.” Nobody ever says so much as “Hmm.”  They don’
> t seem to care what we consultants and facilitators call what we do.

Ralph--

There are a few exceptions, but most of my clients are supremely
disinterested in the technical details of the process I propose to use for their
meeting--just as I am not very interested in the technical details of making widgets,
or finding good uses for sludge and ash (the subject of two real meetings I
facilitated).

They want to know what outcomes to expect, and what their role in the meeting
will be.   Your approach makes a lot of sense to me.   I usually do name the
process, because it often is a useful metaphor.

Joelle