AW: AW: Working with visual artists at an Open Space

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Fri Aug 25 06:39:59 PDT 2006

thank you, reinhard.  what caught me in birgitt's last message is twice, i
think, saying about "capturing".  this word is important to me, because of
the shape it describes.  i thnk first in shapes and textures and flows, and
only later in pictures and finally words.  but i'm always working to make
the words describe accurately the shapes that are my first thoughts and
experiences.  so capture really fits for me, and lets me ask "what is being
captured" and for me that is some energy of the group.

now when i read your list, thanks for that, the part i really like is where
you work with small cards, not the big sheets... you're in with people, not
removed... and you talk about asking for corrections and additions.  for me,
it's easy to imagine that the energy "captured" in such pictures is not
stored up in some giant mural castle that any one individual participant
would have trouble adding to or changing.  or deleting something... "this
card is not right" where with a big wall, they could not say "this does not
fit."  so the small card capturing seems more accessible and change-able and
ultimately then own-able by the particpants.

i can imagine bringing some of these materials, depending on circumstances
and purposes and client views and such, to make this sort of documentation
table next to the table where text documenting happens... one big place of
capturing (though it flies a bit in the face of 'one more thing to not do'
which is a person favorite rule of mine, because i like to travel light!)
...but if i did this, the materials are easy enough... and it seems that
there is one thing missing.  it seems that you have a bit of starting
vocabulary, a foundational set of images, maybe?

your felt marker sketches that you'd shared for the ost: user's non-guide
for instance, have in them some similarities, a scope, a scale, a
technique.  once a dozen of these are up on the wall, one can more easily
imagine using similar, if more tentative and crude renditions of same, to
capture other things.  one could imitate and eventually expand the alphabet
you use, the style of simple capturing.  do you suppose that there is some
set of 10-20 standard images that could be shared with the materials, maybe
examples of several different 'alphabets' that you use, that would make
these languages accessible to those who would dare to sketch or paint
something?  i'm intrigued by your mention of foundational images... or maybe
i've misunderstood?  if nothing else, how do we learn more about KuS 7-step
process?

michael

--

Michael Herman