Working with visual artists at an Open Space

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Tue Aug 22 21:11:28 PDT 2006

The first Open Space conference that I attended had, as participants, visual
artists, mask makers, dancers, musicians, yoga practitioners, astrologers, and
more than I can remember.   Some brought materials, tools, instruction,
music.   The space included a piano, a platform that could serve as a stage, lots
of paper, paint, markers, candles, and a wonderful very small platform on a
wooded hillside where one man practiced Tai Chi every morning.

My two favorite memories from this OS are the sound of Tibetan chimes
reverberating up the steep, wooded hillsides, and Ethelyn Owen dancing one evening,
wearing a mask she had made.

The result was that I never expected that Open Space should be limited to
verbal expression, and I would love to see this kind of richness in every
meeting.

Joelle