Working with visual artists at an Open Space

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Fri Aug 11 22:50:50 PDT 2006

I can't believe it!  I'm current enough with the list to actually respond to a query (never mind the 900+ messages still unread between Dec and Mar).

Having worked with graphic recorders in Open Space in a few different ways, just thought I'd offer some links to visual samples.  Tree already mentioned Nancy Margulies' wonderful work at the Evolutionary Salons (ES1 and 3).  Here are her images:

* At ES1, Nancy worked mostly on 8.5 x 11 paper, capturing the sessions she attended as she followed her nose:
http://www.thegreatstory.org/ev-salon-graphics.html

*  At ES3, she worked on flip-chart paper, capturing the plenaries:
http://www.thegreatstory.org/ev-salon3pix.html

A number of years ago, I worked with Susan Kelley, who positioned herself in a hallway connecting the breakout spaces.  A blank mural appeared on the wall and as people traveled between sessions, they stopped by and either co-created an image with Susan or added their own:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78084501@N00/212978888/

(Sorry, the photo isn't better quality; I don't have the original handy at the moment.)  In the end, they literally had a picture of the future they wanted to create for aviation education.

Nice to be home, with lots of stories, learnings, and questions that I hope to share in the coming weeks,
Peggy

Peggy Holman
The Open Circle Company
15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
(425) 746-6274

www.opencirclecompany.com

For pre-orders with a 20% discount on the new edition of The Change Handbook, go to:
www.bkconnection.com/ChangeHandbook

"Love is a spirit all compact of fire"  - William Shakespeare