visuals in os

Visuelle Protokolle mail at visuelle-protokolle.de
Mon Aug 14 03:46:06 PDT 2006

We fully understand that OS people see visual facilitators as addendum, while we see OS as one of several possibilities to work with people. That might be the base for mutual understanding.

Your idea, that people themselves should draw, picks up the discussion you and me had at the lake of Starnberg  I think in 1998. The idea is brilliant. Since then we developed several methods of drawing actions, like 800 union delegates drawing 72 pictures simultaneously in a conference in Vienna. Like our friend David Sibbet we work with templates, like Nacy Margulies with mind maps, we combine story telling with images, espacially in a group exercise we call "Story Painting", a group split into writers and drawers inventing a story, with an observer of the group process and a story teller at the end.

Like all with other methods, it is worth while to follow some rules, not just to jump into drawing, and to honor the results. At BMW in Munich there hang pictures in the corridors 300 IT engineers drew 5 years ago - before the meeting they thought of throwing the results away immediately ...

Philosophers and Brain scientists tell us, that there is nothing like an objective perception of the world, everybody forms his/her picture of it. So some (most) people transfer this picture into words and talk, and the listener transforms the words into his pictures, and some work directly with pictures as a means of communication ....

Bur I think in OS people are used to communicate with words, and more often are totally busy with their topics, so if possible some external visualizer might be helpful to increase the understanding.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
best regards

Reinhard

VISUELLE PROTOKOLLE