SOS for OS!

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Fri Apr 7 23:45:39 PDT 2006

Dear Frank,
The www.openspaceworld.org website has lots of materials
on OST and on presenting it.

As has been said many times before, you probably can buy OST, but you
can't sell it.

I don't think developing yet more "selling" materials is absolutely
necessary.

Communicating OST's benefits is a good starting point.

OST in many ways is counter-intuitive  for many people (Harrison's Indonesia letter is
a fine recent example). I am of the opinion that many who are OST
facilitators don't quite understand it (which is a very different
question from being able to do it competently; maybe we can do an excellent
job of running an OST meeting without having a very deep understanding
of the method?).

Sometimes, I use as a point of reference, that if many OST facilitators do not necessarily understand OST,
can we necessarily expect or hope that potential OST meeting participants to necessarily
get it?

When there is little openness to OST, the best we can do is just hold space for the potential of the
situation (be in OS ourselves) and create spaces where people can have at least a small
experience of OST, possibly with minimal risk. Can you open a little
space there? If not, can you run an interactive presentation of OST
(making it clear that this is a presentation?). A physical walk-through of an
OST meeting could also be very powerful.

I don't know if Geoph Kozeny is at the IC gathering, but I know that
he and Alyson Ewald of Dancing Rabbit co-led an OST meeting.

And in the meantime, I wish I were there! That must be an amazing
gathering.

Hope this helps,
Raffi
http://talesofatoy.blogspot.com