SOS for OS!

Diane Brandon diane.brandon at comcast.net
Fri Apr 7 23:38:57 PDT 2006

Frank, I'll share a few rambling thoughts.

I had my first experience of OS on April 1. It was a short one - 3
sessions of 1 hr or 1 hr 15 minutes in one day, 9-4 - but I got the
feeling for how it works, and I liked it. The thing I was especially
grateful for was the "law of mobility" (or two feet), when one session
turned out not to be what I thought. But the other time I loved that
law was during two sessions of group singing, one at the start of the
day, and one at the end of the day. I always feel a bit guilty about
the fact that I don't like group singing unless I'm in the mood for it.
Being, in a sense, told to "sing now" or "dance now" is antithetical,
for me, to the spirit of singing or dancing. (I respect that others
find it fun to sing or dance anytime.)

Since the group singing was not one of the OS posted sessions, but part
of the opening and closing circles, there wasn't built-in permission to
leave and do something else, but the spirit of OS was there, so I got
past my guilt and did other things both times. I watched a dvd in the
display area (which was great, and I bought a copy, and have found
several uses for it), I looked at the displays, I browsed through a
great curriculum, I went outside, etc.

Assuming that the FIC gathering is set up in the usual conference way
-- lots of listening to others speak -- might you give yourself
permission to wander?

Maybe you could make an announcement about what you're interested in,
and post something on a wall suggesting a time/place to get together
with others about that. (During lunch or a break, for example, so as
not to challenge the order that has been established, but just to offer
some in-fill with OS style time.)

And maybe invite some of the FIC leaders to an OS on some topic they
are likely to be interested in? Once they experience it, perhaps
they'll use it next time around.

Let us know how it goes,

Diane Brandon
Eliot, Maine