SOS for OS!

Frank Deitle commoikos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 22:16:07 PDT 2006

Dear Open Space Friends,

I just finished my first of three days attendance at a Fellowship for
Intentional Community organizational meeting in Madison, WI(www.ic.org). It
is not an OS meeting but I was expecting it to be at least engaging enough
for me to learn and contribute as these folks in the intentional communities
movement have been honing their process and facilitation skills for many
years. This evening I am feeling disillusioned and frustrated. And my
attempts at having conversations about Open Space have not been very
productive. I am not feeling very clear about how and where to focus my
energies for the next two days. I'd like to see Open Space be a more
integral part of the FIC toolkit and the intentional communities movement in
general--a movement I have a lot of passion for. And these are the people I
would think would jump for the next best process--if they only knew!

So I'm seeking advise from the list on two matters. 1) I could use something
like a script sheet to talk about OS with these folks--like step by step
instructions. Maybe an Introducing OST for dummies. The thing is, I feel
like a pretentious bastard when I talk about OS and that's not how I want to
come across. To a certain extent I think these folks believe they are
getting along just fine doing things as usual (and of course in my opinion
(which I haven't stated) they don't really know what they are missing). 2) I
could use some list advice on how to funcion as an OS individual in a non-OS
meeting while maintaining some sense of integrity and respect.

I think developing some kind of OST emergency action kit would be a good
topic for an OSonOS.

Love and Thank You,
Frank Deitle