Is anything possible?

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Mon Apr 3 22:50:19 PDT 2006

I have been finding lately that in the world of business, government and big
organizations, people are much less likely to let go of control than in
community settings.  Corporations exist to stabilize and protect things:
assets, property, ideas, money, reputations...they are all about control.
Communities are messy, evolutionary, out of control and chaordic.   I find
that Open Space works beautifully in community settings, and works great in
organizations where you are all about building a community, or where the
leaders understand that the real way anything happens in the organization is
if you view the whole enterprise as a big messy community, in which the
agency of all contributes to the bigger good.  In general, you will find
very few people in corporations willing to take this risk, but in
communities, for the most part, this is how people operate.

I've given up on the holy grail of using OST in Fortune 500 settings to help
groups of IT managers find innovative work processes, for example.  It's
certainly possible there, and applicable and probably improves the world in
some small way.  But I've seen OST animate community action on poverty,
sustainability, rights, suicide, drug addiction, homelessness, food
security, economic development and child welfare.  I've seen people who have
nearly nothing find a true sense of power and purpose in the process.  So
I've taken to using it in places where it makes a huge difference in the
lives of people and communities, and I hold this arena in high regard,
because the people who take risks here do so with everything on the line,
and in some cases, everything means their life.

Dee Hock's quote is about living and life.  People live and die in
communities every day.  If they are willing to bring that richness of
experience to work in the corporations and organizations that exist all over
the place, Open Space will follow them in there and do all kinds of great
things.  But it will not make magic for folks who don't want to truly
experience the naked terror of "Is anything possible?"

Cheers,

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN