Is anything possible?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Tue Apr 4 05:01:33 PDT 2006

Chris – I am sure that in terms of pure numbers, Corporations are the least
likely to willingly enter Open Space, for all the reasons you enumerate. I
can also understand why, given a limited amount of time and energy you would
choose to concentrate your efforts on communities and community based
organizations. However, I would not give up on the corporations for two
reasons. First, they desperately need what Open Space has to offer, and the
fact that they are hesitant says more (in my view) about their limited
understanding of the world than it does about Open Space. Their need could
just be an interesting side bar on the day’s news, but I don’t think so. For
better or worse, corporations are us, and also have a massive impact on who
we are and our future. The second reason --  It is actually fun to work with
them and can be very productive. Watching a group do a highly complex and
technical project in two days which they “knew” would take several years is
a real turn on for me. But I have learned one thing in working with the
corporate folks – don’t beg, don’t sell, just be available when they run out
of options. At a point where they know that they have nowhere else to turn
to and nothing to loose, Open Space doesn’t look all that risky. After all –
when the risk is ultimate, there is ultimately no risk. Don’t give up on
these folks, they are human beings too. And whenever I have the chance, I
take it. Next week I have another chance with 30 CEOS of global corporations
and Deans of Business Schools – Theme is “Preparing Globally Responsible
Corporate Leaders.” And it is all in Open Space.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html