Is anything possible?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Mon Apr 3 15:29:40 PDT 2006

Thomas -- I hear what you are saying, and I can certainly understand why
certain executives would want to hold onto some "givens" (which I read as
"controls"). And these are the same people who want certainties and
guarantees. The only problem is there are no certainties, no guarantees in
this life. There never have been, and there never will be. Yes, of course,
there is one -- Life will end. But in the interim between beginning and
ending -- everything is at risk, everything is uncertain. And that, of
course is both the joy and terror of living. Dee Hock of Chaordic
Organization fame has a nice phrase (amongst many) in his book. Dee was also
the CEO of one of the world's largest corporations: Visa International. Goes
like --

"Life is not about control. It's not about getting. It's not about having.
It's not about knowing. It's not even about being. Life is eternal,
perpetual becoming, or it is nothing. Becoming is not a thing to be known,
commanded, or controlled. It is a magnificent, mysterious odyssey to be
experienced."

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, Maryland   20854
Phone 301-365-2093
Skype hhowen
Personal website www.ho-image.com
OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the
archives Visit: www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html