SOS for OS!

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sat Apr 8 04:53:50 PDT 2006

Frank - I like the idea of an Emergency Action Kit for OS, but my problem is
I don't have a clue what might go in it. After all OS is just a lot of empty
space in which we do nothing (but be a lot). But that might work. Just get
an empty box with a good lid. Then sidle up to some un-suspecting sort and
say "Pssst - Want to see the Secret of the Universe?" If they say yes - open
the lid - and they will see exactly nothing. I guess that is our problem,
there is very little to see and not much to say. But you could try a little
underground activity. . .

If you feel frustrated with the meeting, that pretty well guarantees that
some others feel the same way. Find them! Start with their frustrations and
open things up. For example if they were to say that they never get a chance
to talk about what they really care about - ask them what they care about,
write it down, post it, and get gone. Like that.

Opportunism is about the only way in that I know. If everything is going
perfect (or at least people think it is), nobody in their right mind would
try Open Space, particularly the people who are deeply invested in the
current mode of operations (the Organizing Committee). However, when you see
a crack in the surface, work on it! And if it is a bigger crack,
particularly one that looks like a real business issue with lots of
complexity, diversity, conflict, and immediacy - you may just have a winner.
Wait until all the folks have beaten their heads to a bloody pulp trying to
solve it, and then quietly suggest that there is an alternative. If they say
yes too quickly, tell them to think about it again before they do anything
as crazy as Open Space. If they really insist, well you might just open some
space .. :-)

In the meantime I would just use the Law of Two Feet. They may not know it
is The Law, but you do, and at the very least you might sustain your sanity.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20854

Phone 301-365-2093

Skype hhowen

Open Space Training  <http://www.openspaceworld.com/> www.openspaceworld.com

Open Space Institute  <http://www.openspaceworld.org/>
www.openspaceworld.org

Personal website  <http://www.ho-image.com/> www.ho-image.com

OSLIST: To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives
Visit:  <http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html>
www.listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html