panflu - what next? - open space

Joelle Lyons Everett JLEShelton at aol.com
Fri Oct 14 15:15:16 PDT 2005

Lucas--

In a pandemic, just as in a tsunami or hurricane of earthquake, "the
government" will not be able to do everything that needs to be done.   And government
personnel will also be ill, so there will be fewer helpers just at the time
there are greater needs.   The more that each of us can be self-sufficient for a
time, the easier it will be.

Dealing with a new flu will be a huge challenge for health care providers and
everyone.   What we can do, as individuals, families, and neighborhoods, is
to think ahead about what we might need if our normal distribution systems for
food, medical supplies, and other daily needs were to be cut off for a period.
  Self-organizing, not waiting for proclamations from on high.   Our pioneer
ancestors were used to living this way, so we likely have family stories that
tell us how to manage.

Thanks for reminding us!

Joelle