devolving responsibility

Elwin and Joan elwinandjoan at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 2 17:43:49 PDT 2005

Whoa, this is too good to pass up!

Lex asked: How far can leadership / responsibility be devolved before
the lesser-paid begin to ask "Hey, I'm basically doing my boss's job,
so how come he's paid more than me?"

The simple answer for me as an ex-boss is, no one is doing the boss’s
job! The “boss” works for the “lesser-paid”.  Now, talk about
“responsibility!”  You’ve got to get inside of all those folks and come
away with an understanding of where their passion lies and how you can
assist them in getting to a place where that is unleashed.  That my
friends ain’t easy and it is, or should be, why the boss gets more
money. It’s because he is working so hard for so many others.

Lex also said: Maybe it only occurs in 'toxic' organisations, but as we
modify the invisible glue that holds organisations together, what stops
them from coming unstuck altogether?

Lex, it’s a NEW GLUE called discovery of the “common interest” a la
Open Space! Imagine that all the persons working in an organization day
after day are coming there for the same reason we expect people to
assemble for an Open Space, because they care about the issue. In this
case, they care about what the organization is doing.

A successful boss (you know, the guy who get the big bucks) has the
ability to understand the critical importance of the common interest
and attract/retain people that share it.  At least that’s my take on
it.

Elwin Guild
Future Development Internatiional
Baltimore