devolving responsibility

AT&T -- Mark R. Jones mark_r_jones at att.net
Sun Oct 2 14:56:55 PDT 2005

Hi.

For me, one of the conversations that is frequently missing from this topic
is
the role that "View" plays in the experience of placement, roles,
responsibilities,
and fit within collectives (organizations and communities).  "View" in this
case,
refers to context, scale, scope, purvey, overview, span, domain of
interaction,
domain of impact, universe of discourse, system boundaries, etc. - for which
one is "holding space".

In my own experience of the evolution of leadership, I found that my "View"
and compensation shifted as I developed, executed, and perfected leadership
skills that demanded an ever-widening embracing of the "larger systems or
contexts" in "holding space".  So, where my focus might be "intra" (within
processes, systems, and/or organizations), the focus of my boss was "inter"
(between processes, systems, and/or organizations).  Although both of us
were seemingly applying the same knowledge, skills, and attributes-my boss
was in fact being required to "hold more space" than me.  And, that practice
and action of my boss to "hold more space" than me, was of justifiably
greater
value to the whole system (and especially to me at the time).

I have characterized the evolution of leadership as follows:
   Technical Leadership-
     Where mastery of process, technology, and/or knowledge is perfected.
The
     "View" is focused on the "Self"-what my current contribution is; what
     I am capable of doing; how I can contribute; what my value is, what my
     compensation is; etc.

   Organizational Leadership-
     Where mastery of interpersonal relationships, dynamics, and
communications
     is perfected.  The "View" is focused on the "Other"-what our current
collective
     contribution is; what we are capable of doing; how we can contribute;
what our
     collective value is; what our collective compensation is; etc.

   Executive Leadership-
     Where mastery of strategy and vision enrollment is perfected.  The
"View" is
     focused on the "Whole"-what is the current condition and contribution
     of the whole system (all Stakeholders); what is the whole system
capable of
     conceiving, adapting, adopting, and cultivating; what are the means of
     engaging the whole system; what are the values, beliefs, and norms of
the
     whole system; what are the modes of aspirations and compensation within

     the whole system; etc.

   Spiritual Leadership-
     Where the intentional evolution of consciousness develops mastery of
the
     Self, Other and the Whole.  The "View" is focused on "Presence"-the in
     the moment practice of Wisdom and Compassion which releases individuals

     and collectives from pain and suffering.

Just some mental meanderings from the "void"  :-)

Mark R. Jones
Chief Executive Officer
The Sunyata Group
PO Box 58788