devolving responsibility

Jack Ricchiuto jack at designinglife.com
Sat Oct 1 19:13:24 PDT 2005

This whole conversation about pay is loaded for bear. Every time I¹m in the
thick of it with client organizations, the opportunity as I see it is for
unprecedented honest dialogue.

Most organizations divide people into two classes of responsibility, power,
and information haves and have-nots. The haves typically not only have more,
but they¹re also compensated more for being in the gifted class. Some might
make the case that this only makes the division work.

Organizations need to have authentic conversations about the questions that
matter. One is: If we differentiate compensation, on what basis should that
happen? The important thing is that the conversation happens and that it¹s
inclusive and honest. The two-class system is not nearly as toxic as the
fact that it is undiscussable.

Jack

jack ricchiuto
two.one.six/three.seven.three/seven.four.seven.five
www.designinglife.com / www.appreciativeleadership.com