devolving responsibility

mccafferty at inwind.it mccafferty at inwind.it
Sat Oct 1 17:59:53 PDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

How far can leadership / responsibility be devolved before the lesser-paid begin to ask "Hey, I'm basically doing my boss's job, so how come he's paid more than me?"

This is an attitude I'm coming across, particularly in larger organisations, ususally bureaucratic-style too. And I'm asking the list because, as future-creators, maybe you've dealt with this somewhere already.

Maybe it only occurs in 'toxic' organisations, but as we modify the invisible glue that holds organisations together, what stops them from coming unstuck altogether?

Lex