Cross Cultural Facilitation

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Sat Oct 1 07:57:27 PDT 2005

Hi Brendan,
I recommend that you pass this assignment on to someone else nearby who
the group would feel safer with. The issues raised are valid and you are
well intended and a gentle soul, but that doesn’t mean that
participation will be enabled to be at its fullest with your presence
there. I have a long history of working with traumatized people and a
one day OST is not going to be conducive to a white male coming in to
facilitate. I agree with Wendy that you will have fewer problems with
OST than another method but I wonder why the people involved should go
through this if there are other options. I don’t think though that
evaluating your cultural competence would be enough of a prep. There are
probably the filters (pre-judgments) that you approach this from, as do
we all as facilitators. And there are the filters (pre-judgments) that
the participants come from. I would feel more confident that the
learning that was needed by the group that you be seen as a person
instead of stereotyped would be able to take place if this was a
multi-day OST but all of this and what they need to work on seems a bit
much for one day.

So often, with traumatized or other disadvantaged groups, on the second
day of an OST, participants come up and thank me for the chance to post
topics on day 2. They didn’t feel safe to do so on day 1.

Hope this helps as you are thinking this through.
Blessings to you,
Birgitt