Cross Cultural Facilitation

Harrison Owen hhowen at comcast.net
Sat Oct 1 06:09:58 PDT 2005

Brendan - having done a number of Open Spaces in precisely the same
circumstances you describe (or almost) I don't think there is a problem. Or
as you might say - No Worries! For example, I did an OS with 500 folks from
the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) at a point where that
organization was about ready to explode. There were 500 women and me. And
the YWCA is a VERY feminist organization! I have also had the privilege of
opening space with a number of Indigenous groups. Again - no problems, no
worries. I think the critical thing is your authenticity - just fully being
there. And Open Space (as usual) does the rest.

I might take some small issue with Wendy's suggestion that you acknowledge
your maleness and privilege up front. I would not do that for several
reasons. First of all it is really just a redundant statement of the obvious
- you are male and privileged. But most of all, such a statement draws
attention to you. What you want to do (or at least what I would want to do)
is to move as quickly as possible to that moment when the group starts to do
its thing and you leave center stage. Anything that slows that movement or
gets in the way, I try to eliminate. Think of one more thing NOT to do.

What saves the day in such situations is the "fact" that OS operates
"beneath Culture, Gender, privilege (or lack of same), education, etc. -- I
think. Doubtless awareness and sensitivity to the issues involved is a plus,
and we all have a lot to learn. But when facilitating an Open Space, I am
not sure that such awareness makes that much difference, and indeed it may
be a distraction in that you become so aware of difference that you miss the
commonality. I have always found that people everywhere have more in common
than they do in difference. In any event, I have never found any difficulty
in situations such as you describe PROVIDED I was authentically present (as
much as I could be) AND moved the opening along as quickly as possible to
the point where the folks got to work, and I got out of the way. As we all
know, it really isn't about me/us.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive

Potomac, Maryland   20845

Phone 301-365-2093

Open Space Training www.openspaceworld.com <http://www.openspaceworld.com/>

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives Visit: