Cross Cultural Facilitation

Joan Smith joanis at ozemail.com.au
Sat Oct 1 01:51:11 PDT 2005

Brendan I have had an Open Space experience - nearly two years ago -
with indigenous people,  This included male/female indigenous people
and a few white people.  I met with small groups of Indigenous people
beforehand.  There were several groups involved and many people
coming had never lived away from home in an "institutional" setting.
It was at Riverton.  Although it wasn't "live-in" some people came
from the country or a fair way out of town.  There was a little bit
of fear about this both from the "live-ins" themselves and the people
who not living in.
The organisers seemed to be everyone who was coming so I decided to
catch up with as many as I could.  This was an eye opener.  Probably
99.5% of the women wanted it to be a woman's only experience.
Generally they felt the male leaders had had enough to say about
their life!!!  The males didn't even get into the question of
participation.  I was "supposed" to be the facilitator, however I
felt that the opening circle was very important and took on board the
suggestions from the participants (with whom I'd met) about what
might be helpful.  Well the two days seemed to be a great sharing
time - some who were not going to come on the second day turned up
again - - - -and listening to the participants at the closing circle
they were very positive about what they wanted and where they thought
they might go.
And I felt sometimes they didn't know I was around - they took the
process in their hands and ran with it.
I also learnt a lot.  It was when preparing for this event I learned
that not all Aboriginal Tribes have smoking ceremonies and that the
didgeridoo is  not common to all tribes and that the
boomerang.......and the type of storytelling.......the clap
sticks........  and so on.
Maybe this is of some help.  Joan