SV: The Pros and Cons of OST?

Lise Damkjar lise at learning4life.dk
Tue Nov 22 01:34:57 PST 2005

Hello Allison and everybody on the list!

You really put yourself into a challenge! And it is very interesting because
everyone of us (my guess) meet these requirements for conferences and
reservations about OST. It tells us something important about the
possibilities in OST!

If I found myself in that position (I hope not, but...) I would put up some
assumptions/beliefs - some leading to the traditional conference (as the
one, you are attending) and some leading to OST. I would find the beliefs
from thinking about this actual conference: why do we do stuff like this?
(and here the difficulty could be to be appreciative, but that's important!)

I have tried a little here...

- Groups rotating... - the assumption: it is more important to hear a
something about everything (and then you can always search more information
afterwards)
OST-assumption: You learn the most from being in dialogue about what you are
really passionated about

You have only 90 minutes: - the assumption is: The speaker transfer her
knowledge to the participants by giving a paper and a speach
OST-assumption: We all (also participants) have lot of knowledge, what we
need is to sort it out - meaning relating to our one knowledge, deciding our
attitude.

Organizers assumption: Participants have tried OST before and already know
about it
OST-assumption: The participant's who already tried OST would love to do it
once more and the more they know about it, the more they know that they now
have the possibility of learning even more.

Organizers: Some people don't want to speak in public
OST: You don't need to - and if you are passionated about something it's
easier to talk about it

You can put up the different asssumptions at to different slides -
presenting one way of seing the world - and another way.. - and then it is
up to the participants to decide their attitude...

Have a nice conferece!

Lise
Clouded and cold Copenhagen..