deep democracy - action planning

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Mon Nov 7 18:06:07 PST 2005

Hi, all -

Harrison wrote:
Keep the space open for action - again and again. But never force it,
for that is to close the space.

I have found that when action planning is not appropriate - or when it
was designed into an OS and participants didn't engage to a high level -
it is for various reasons.

*	Sometimes it is because people didn't get enough time for
emergent/divergent thinking in Open Space (too short - they are asked to
think of every possibility and then suddenly to think in a linear way
about what to move forward next).

*	Sometimes because the design for action is not reflective of the
energy of the group (I am one who prefers reopening the space for action
to support just the actions that have energy and 'champions'/stewards
behind them, engaging passion and personal responsibility - instead of
some group agreement on some actions that are necessary that someone
should work on)

*	Sometimes only the hosts/sponsors/clients want action planning -
but if you were to ask what percentage of the total group of
participants are coming / would say they need action at this event, the
hosts might reflect that actually only 10% would want that - the rest
come together to network, learn from one another and share resources.
Again, inappropriate design to build in action planning if only the
hosts or a small percentage feel the need for it, for example, but the
participants are happy with the other deliverables of meeting in Open
Space.

*	Sometimes I find that when I'm talking to clients/sponsors/hosts
they say they want action planning as part of the design - and with
further discussion it turns out they want tangible achievements at the
end of the event.  And they are *used to* seeing that as action items.
To measuring results in action items.  The Breaking News posted all over
the walls and the Book of Proceedings (given out during or post-event)
are indeed impressive achievements and with this, the client feels that
this is perfect for their / the group's needs.

And I think it's also the way we sometimes measure things.  So many
people feel that nothing has been achieved if action hasn't been a
result of a 2 day (or whatever) OS.  Well: how do we *know* that action
hasn't happened or won't happen?  And why does it have to happen in a
way (or timeframe) that we see it?  It could be happening all over the
place, as a result of / kindled by / given nutrition from that Open
Space and that coming together of fabulous people.  And how do we know
that action is just 'people getting together in action planning groups
or forming committees or announcing they are starting projects'?  It
could be so many things such as rich conversations that shift priorities
or perceptions, new collaborations that co-create mutual benefits, new
partnerships where resources will now be shared and budgets are enhanced
through sharing.

Sometimes people don't need to do action or aren't ready for it -
because they have to tell their story (of pain, grief, loss, what once
was) - and be fully witnessed / listened to in this story - before they
can move to action.  And that can't always happen in just a few days.

Having said all of the above, I also enjoy designing in action planning
in Open Space if that is what the situation calls for, and I see great
things emerge in the reopening of space towards the end of an OS
meeting.

>From autumnal action planning of trees turning fiery red, dropping their
leaves and saving their energy for Spring's new growth,

Lisa

___________________________
L i s a   H e f t
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator
O p e n i n g  S p a c e
2325 Oregon
Berkeley, California
94705-1106   USA
+01 510 548-8449
 <mailto:lisaheft at openingspace.net> lisaheft at openingspace.net
 <http://www.openingspace.net> www.openingspace.net

OSLIST at LISTSERV.BOISESTATE.EDU ------------------------------ To
subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
oslist at listserv.boisestate.edu:
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs:
http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist * *
OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: