Craig

Peggy Holman peggy at opencirclecompany.com
Sun May 29 13:58:33 PDT 2005

"You can't be this open. After all, even the river has to have banks to keep the water in."

And what creates the equivalent of the river banks in Open Space?  I believe the convening question bounds the space.  It shapes the container from which all else flows.

overcast in Seattle,
Peggy

  "You can't be this open. After all, even the river has to have banks to keep the water in."

  There is a marvelous systems group in the UK that has spent a lot of time thinking about the biology and ecology of rivers. Your friend seems to be saying -- when you reach the banks, you reach the river.  But do you? Where does the river begin, where does it end, and how is it bounded? Conventional wisdom would place the beginnings in the headwaters -- but when you get there, you never quite find that first drop dropping -- the genesis of the river. Could the genesis be the clouds and the rain? The complex and unending weather systems ? The whole world? The cosmos itself. As for the banks -- they are a sometime thing. Here today and gone tomorrow. And as a matter of fact they don't really hold the water in -- for there is a constant flow between the river and the ground water of which it is a contiguous part. So how broad is the river? As for ending where is that? At the mouth?? But when you fly over a river as it runs into the sea it becomes obvious that the flow of fresh water and sediment extends far out -- until it blends with the surrounding sea. But no sharp line -- So what is the river anyhow? And if you can't contain it, how do you define it -- and without definition control is a phantasm. Or so my british friends say.

  Harrison

  Harrison Owen
  7808 River Falls Dr.
  Potomac, MD  20854