leverage points

Christy Lee-Engel cdleee at gmail.com
Tue May 24 17:57:09 PDT 2005

That principle is definitely the one I wrestle with most, but I think for a
different reason than Masud.

So far my experience has been that the principle-description has just been
true, and so I believe it--but often I don't want it to be true, and feel
the distinct urge to manipulate. I almost always find myself thinking early
on (because I have been more often a participant than a facilitator) "oh, it
would have been great/better if this person or that person had
come--shouldn't I just phone them and see if they'll come over?" or even
"it's too bad that person is here". But then eventually I remember to stop
fantasizing about what didn't happen and pay attention to what is happening,
and it turns out, again, to be just right.

And while I agree that the invitation part is really important, I don't
think it's only the feeling of being invited that decides whether I'll come
to something or not. And it's not necessarily because I don't care at all
("no care -- no come"), but as Harrison says, I "don't care enough"--I might
even care a lot, but also care about something else more.

For instance, I feel very definitely & warmly invited to the OSonOS in
Halifax. And, I feel very drawn to the reasons for the gathering. But, it's
scheduled for the same time as a big family gathering, and so this time I'm
going to choose that.

By the way, speaking of caring and passion--I've read a couple of times on
the list lately something about it being a shared passion for an idea or
issue or topic that gets people to show up. For me, the topic, or question,
is almost incidental; it's often when I discover that a person or people I
want to see or spend time with might be there that I'll decide to come.
Knowing, of course, that there's always the chance that they'll turn out to
be some of the people who don't care enough to come!

Christy Lee-Engel
breezy, sunny Seattle