a very simple reason...indeed

Alan Stewart alan at creativestate.biz
Sat May 21 18:30:25 PDT 2005

Raffi, your notion of 'The Next Big Thing will likely not be a tool, but rather an attitude' resonates strongly with my experience of being an OST facilitator since 1994, a longstanding member of this list and also with my observings related to coming to live in Hong Kong a few months ago.

And with your notion Seamus of 'For me it comes down to people. People who are willing to be open to others.'

Here is a brief account of what I have observed in a little microcosm - through the lens of a solid background in OST - recently. Is what I have noted in line with the direction in which you both are pointing ...

By a stroke of remarkable fortune I am connected to a very lively group of people in Hong Kong. This started in May of last year when I had a day here between flights en route from Australia to Europe and the US. The connecting happened through my 'putting out' to listserv colleagues, including Gail West in Taiwan, about contacts here. Back came a flood of invitations to meet with people, among which was one from a group who call themselves the SPIRIT of Hong Kong: Consciously creating Hong Kong, together.  www.spiritofhongkong.org

They asked me to talk about about 'open agenda processes' and reportedly found this very useful. On my way home (to Adelaide) a month later I arranged to attend another of their gatherings to report on ideas picked up on my travels, particularly OpenSpace-Online from Gabriela Ender.

Meeting with this group was likely part of the decision process in my wife Carmen and I taking up an opportunity to come to live here.

For what I sensed from the earlier encounter and since being a resident is that this group manifests an attitude that is thrilling, welcoming, enlivening and inspiring. The core participants are warm, open, interesting - and interested - people. Perhaps this can be characterised as their having an attitude of cheerfulness and gratitude. (Arun Wakhlu and I have corresponded recently on these elements in preparing people for OST facilitation).

Coupled with a caring for each other which I would call 'We are here to treat each other well.'

And a knowing - which is brought up regularly - that every gathering will only happen once in human history and that those present would do well to make the most of their time together.

The mission of the group is to fill the void - since it is not happening at 'official' levels - of creating a vision of what this World City could be.

They are doing this through inviting anyone to contribute ideas on this. Consciously or not, the principles of OST are implicit - while the format is not - in the weekly gatherings. These are underpinned, in my interpretation, with a spirit of 'delicious anticipation' of what may happen.

The Spirit of Hong Kong group - I can happily now say 'We' - see that outcome is not paramount. As a media article on the enterprise indicates:

"We're not trying to reach a definite point. We're just trying to facilitate a process of thinking and sharing."

"Nature is full of chain reactions - links that don't necessarily know what they're doing in the big picture. We're a breeding ground, creating chain reactions and enabling things to evolve. You can do this without consciously knowing what you're doing."

http://www.spiritofhongkong.org/eng/default.asp

I wonder if these personal experiences and impressions contribute to what you feel about what might be being breathed into becoming?

With love

Alan

Hong Kong