a very simple reason

Raffi Aftandelian raffi at bk.ru
Wed May 18 00:46:30 PDT 2005

There's a very simple reason, I believe, why something else will
probably come to replace OST in some 5 years time.

I believe that when Harrison says that all there is is Open Space, he
is right...but only in reference to our current prevailing worldview,
our current paradigm.

I believe that a new paradigm is being born right now, it may become
clearer in the next 5 years. But we don't talk about new paradigms in
polite company. It's kinda like farting loudly. You just don't do it.

One way of framing our current paradigm is to open to p.2 of Marv
Weisbord and Sandra Janoff's 1995 book "Future Search: An Action Guide
to Finding Common Ground in Organizations and Communities."--

The Learning Curve
1900 Experts Solve problems
1950 "Everybody" solves problems
1965 Experts improve whole systems
2000 "Everybody" improves whole systems

I recall a number of years back that I wondered, well, what comes
after the last paradigm. And now I think I realize that many people
have already probably answered the question. I don't think it's
appropriate to try to answer it on the listserv, maybe for the same
reason that it may no longer be appropriate for you, Harrison, to be
on this listserv or to continue "teaching" or "doing" open space.

In Goa, if I recall correctly, you spoke about how a new generation of
folks have started doing OST, and that maybe it is time for you to
step aside. More than six months have passed and you haven't stepped
aside. Your baby, OST, is college age, the age of majority. It is
voting age, it can get married, it can have children, it can get
drafted in the military, and do all the other interesting things in life.

Might the walk of the warrior for you, Harrison, be to auction your
hat on e-bay and walk out of the circle?

Warmly,
Raffi

                          mailto:raffi at bk.ru