OSLIST Digest - 6 May 2005 to 7 May 2005 (#2005-124)

Gilbert Brenson-Lazan gbl at amauta.org
Sun May 8 06:25:56 PDT 2005

Hi, all.

For what it´s worth, I have tried several different permutations and
combinations of OS and TWC, depending on my initial prejudice regarding the
group´s culture and needs.  My conclusion (duh!) is that almost any
combination can be successful if the facilitator is flexible enough to
permit the group space to evolve and develop, and that almost no
combination will work if it becomes a series of procedural hoops that an
overly protagonistic facilitator wants people to jump through.

Warm regards,

Gil

At 01:00 a.m. 08/05/2005, you wrote:

>Date:    Sat, 7 May 2005 02:19:48 -0500
>From:    Michael Herman <mjherman at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: The World Cafe
>
>i've never used TWC.  i now have the book, though, and will have a look.
>
>to your question, peggy, i wonder if one couldn't pose a broad,
>os-like theme at the outset, have the small table groups make a list
>of the issues that they see important to resolution, discuss those for
>some time then ring the bells and invite anyone to move who wanted to.
>  in short (usually smaller) os meetings, i often ring the bells and
>use that as a way to invite people to notice how far along they are in
>their work in current session and make conscious decision between this
>session and the next one(s).  nothing imposed, just a reminding.
>
>when the groups in the modified TWC that i'm imagining finished, one
>would stay and the rest could move to another table, then could spring
>from the issues, opps and questions raised in first round.  each round
>of folks could add to the notes, add to the questions, add to action
>items, and add their names to the record at each table.  maybe there
>could be a three- or four-column recording template for issues, key
>points, actions and names.
>
>in this way, we'd only need to ask the big question and the details
>and sub questions could be provided by ppts.  might ring the bells to
>mark shorter than usual decision/choice points, so that some might
>choose to stay and some to go, with the suggestion that everyone try
>to get in at least 3 or 4 sessions, then could invite people to come
>back to their original table and see where things went.
>
>and all that said, just thinking about it makes me yearn for a little
>really open space <grin>.

Dr. Gilbert Brenson-Lazán - Presidente Ejecutivo
AMAUTA INTERNATIONAL, LLC
Bogotá, Colombia - West Hartford, CT, USA
E-Mail: <<mailto:gbl at amauta.org>gbl at amauta.org>  Website:
<<http://amauta.org/>http://amauta.org>
Optimizamos la efectividad de los facilitadores, líderes y gerentes
de procesos de gestión y transformación cultural sostenible
en organizaciones y comunidades.