An open space game?

chris macrae wcbn007 at easynet.co.uk
Mon May 2 10:23:44 PDT 2005

I was at a quarterly meeting recently where I realised that the 40
participants mainly had different views of the reason they were there -
Actually a group concerned with SUSTAINABILITY

So I volunteered to be content person guiding their next quarterly
meeting

My plan - loose as it is - is to try to get them to create the same map
on the wall

With 4 playing areas

Area 1 which is just below the top right corner of the wall is yellow
postits- will each person complete a mission in life that they will
always be championing around sustainability

Area 2 the very top corner is sustainability: I want to leave that area
blank unless diverse views of what sustainability's gravity come up in
which case they can all be put up there

3 Now as we look at each other's postits in area 1 I want to ask people
to discuss which of a list of 15 conflict barriers I have seen
repeatedly to most conflicts to do with creating the world we want have
a vote as to which conflicts are stopping you from progressing your
mission postit (discuss in groups if necessary)

4 Since house rules only give me 2 hours, we now get back to a circle
and attend to 4: what worldcongress (eg large open space) would we need
to map back, invite network representatives of sustainability to etc if
we were to get everyone to see the same number 1 conflict (whichever it
is) as the main problem to resolve

I wrote this for 2 reasons:
-Any suggestions on improving this and is it an Open Space type of game
or not?

A picture of this game appears at
http://www.disruptive-mice.org/forums/102/ShowPost.aspx

sincerely