Some Open Space practices

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Mon May 23 19:25:14 PDT 2005

I have been musing lately on some open space practices. Michael Herman and I
have worked our list of the four OST facilitation practices we share in
"trainings": opening, inviting, holding and grounding.

Thinking about the kinds of practices of participants now, largely spurred
by Doug's recent Tao of the depth of open space, one of them seems to be
that the juicy meetings hinge on the quality of attention, honesty and
authenticity of participants. As if passion and responsibility are merged
and held by invitation to be both open and grounded. I have to ask more of
the participants in meetings if this is right, but my sense is that it is
that overall integrity that propels us forward into newly opened spaces.
When people feel like they've been in a good OST, it is that this depth has
been plumbed. I put this down to the Law of Mobility: the juice flows when
the Law is there, but not used, as if we are bound together by an attractive
force rather than repelled into groups. Something about how the energy of an
atom works...why things don't fall apart. The stronger forces of close
attraction against the longer range forces of gravity.

Anyway - it seems abstract, but I'm sure it has some practical applications.

Chris

--

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation