NO Such Thing as non-self-organizing system

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 15:37:48 PST 2005

A very short comment in another 10 minutes, Harrison.

I think we are seeing reality from two different points of view (it it is the same reality...). If I understand well, you are too much concerned with bosses that think they are in charge. I don't think that those "in charge" control organizations.

I am thinking more of something similar to the "invisible hand" - rules, regulations, assumptions taken for granted, etc that condition you, myself, and all the other humans. We don't act like quarks and quasars, and the same rules don't necesseraly apply..

I insist that reading Argyris (in Action Science) is very conveniente. He shows how, in organizations, a Model 1 of behaviour is always present, and that it closes the space as it closes communication.

The merite of Open Space IMHO is that it reduces or supresses Model 1 and enhances Model 2.

But that would need a very big explanation that  I have not the time now to give.

But, don't worry - some day YOU will see the light ;-)

Warm regards

Artur

Harrison Owen <hhowen at comcast.net> wrote:

Artur Wrote: “This allows me to say that I agree with you (except perhaps in your mantra, because I still think that there are some organizations - like the Catholic Church and most armies, some companies and even countries - that have a lot of success in acting as closed systems - even if there are also open processes happening in them.”