Timing for really large groups

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 15:36:23 PDT 2005

I have used an electronic bulletin board once, a huge one. The problem with
it is that everyone can comment on the agenda from their seats and you
actually miss out on the chaos of standing at the wall. Also there is
something to the physical act of actually putting your topic up that breeds
responsibility, rather than just throwing it out there for someone else to
type into a grid.

If you do with the eBB, then have the paper wall too...there is nothing like
the buzz

Also I don't do sign ups per se, although often groups will figure that's
what they are supposed to do at the wall. Sometimes it happens, sometimes
not. I am pretty strict about asking conveners to put their names on their
topics though...again, passion bounded by responsibility and it makes it
easier to find people when sessions are wanting to be changed.

Chris

On 6/21/05, Jennifer Hurley <JLHurley at hfadesign.com> wrote:

> On 6/16/05 12:33 AM, "Joelle Lyons Everett" <JLEShelton at aol.com> wrote:
>
> From my experience as a participant in an Open Space of 700 or 800, I
> would endorse Lisa's suggestion to skip the sign-up at the wall. It was hard
> to get close enough to the wall posters to read or write. The large screen
> will help with the reading, so it will not be necessary for everyone to get
> to the wall at the start.
>

> I have never really understood the purpose of having people sign up at the
> wall. It seems cumbersome to have people write on the wall. Instead, I have
> been putting sign-up sheets wherever the discussion circles are. Does anyone
> have a good reason for asking people to sign up at the wall?
>
> Thanks,
> Jennifer Hurley
> -------------------------------
> Hurley~Franks and Associates
> Planning & Urban Design
>
> 1429 Walnut St., Ste. 601
> Philadelphia, PA 19102
>
> P: 215-988-9440
> JLHurley at HFAdesign.com
> http://www.hfadesign.com
>
> Association for the New Urbanism in PennsylvaniA (ANUPA)
> http://www.anupa.org

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential
> and/or proprietary information. If you have received this in error, please
> contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from
> any system it may be on.

CHRIS CORRIGAN
Consultation - Facilitation
Open Space Technology