After dinner conversations

EVERETT813 at aol.com EVERETT813 at aol.com
Sun Jun 12 01:28:22 PDT 2005

In a message dated 6/9/05 5:58:38 PM, duff at innergy.ca writes:

> Interestingly, it was 9/11 that stopped them. We had been meeting for years
> once a month with a substantial number of attendees (for a home meeting).
> Then 9/11 happened and it just ended. People stopped coming.

Duff, et. al.;

The above statement was really thought-provoking.   Some questions, to which
I don't have any answers, that began to run around in my mind were:

Did you do any surveying as to why people stopped coming abruptly after the
event?

Is this, or any form, of OS so fragile that a horrific event causes people
who have been participating to close their space (hearts)?   If it had been
going on, would the Iraq war have closed it off?   How about the tsunami?

Does OS require a safe and nuturing environment that can be quickly violated
by raw terror or other deep shocks?   If that is true, is OS truly robust?
Or, was there something about the many-year-group that wasn't robust, Duff (no
blame or aspersion intended, just a question)?

I am reminded of the parable of the sower by Jesus of Nazareth (Mark 3-8).
Particularly verse 6: "when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it
had no root, it withered away".   In verses 14-20 he interprets the parable.
It's worth reading and pondering.   What does it mean "to have real roots" in
OS?   Or, in the Practice of Peace, for that matter?

At any rate, those are some thoughts your paragraph provoked in me.

Sincerely,

Paul Everett