Seeking volunteer help for an OS in Ohio

Therese Fitzpatrick therese.fitzpatrick at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 14:42:55 PDT 2005

I was relieved to read Michael's puzzlement over the fact that
elected, private-CEO-types and Administrative Directors cannot afford
to pay an honorarium for professional, skilled facilitation.  I am
also sitting here wondering what the elected officials,
private-ceo-types and administrative directors do for free in their
professional lives on the off-chance, remote possibility that maybe
some paid work will come out ot it.

I am also wondering if these elected officials, private-ceo-types and
administrative directors value professional facilitation if they are
not willing to pay for it.

Doing unpaid professional work is not a sustainable practice, either
for the individual facilitator doing the pro bono work or for the
common good.  It risks perpetuating the idea that quality,
professional services can be had gratis.  It creates an articial link
in the economic net that should be sustaining the whole.

Susan writes that 'we' will be doing more work around the state of
Ohio.  I find myself wondering if this 'we' will also be working for
free.  If they are not working for free, I warmly encourage them to do
what my old friend and mentor Kathie Dannemiller would have done:
split their fees with their professional colleagues.  If Kathie told
me once, she told me one hundred times that she never worked alone and
if there was only money to pay one consultant, she split her fee but
as a professional herself, she felt that it dishonored her own skills
to ask another colleague to work for free.  And I agree with her sage,
seaoned advice.