Culture survey

William Welsh wilycat at cox.net
Sat Jul 16 08:06:06 PDT 2005

Esther,
Complex question. You have no doubt experienced that "creating a survey" is
not for the faint of heart. There are several websites that can provide
insight into this process, surverycentral.com is one such. There are, of
course, numerous sites that will "sell" you their solution. Here you can
just type "cultural survey" into yahoo, google or copernic and pick your
poison. The Denison website is one of the better in this category. More
problematically, is what you actually intend to do with your "results." As
socially constructed "realities," cultures (reified entities) can never be
directly addressed. One of the best indirect approaches, in my personal
experience, is Balanced Scorecard. Its expensive to accomplish
comprehensively and pointless to undertake unless senior leadership is
committed in advance to actually use the data generated. I suppose I should
also point out that, again in my experience, OST is the shortest distance
between two points because the very process (using OST) is inherently
"culture transformative" and surveys at that point (post event) merely
confirm what is already obvious, that behavior has changed. Typically I find
myself running way too hard to keep up with all the transformation to have
time to document the effect. Best of luck in your endeavor.
Will

William. O. Welsh III
Strategic Development Advisor
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems